Community and Education Programming
We offer performance classes for ages 6-12- and 10–14-year-old students on Saturday Mornings via two Performance Group:
The “Fall Stage Explorers” (ages 6-12) and the “Fall Theatre Makers” (ages 10-14).
Fall Kid Explores classes begin at 9:00am on Saturday October 8 and complete with a performance on Saturday December 17
Fall Theatre Makers classes begin at 10:30am on Saturday October 8 and complete with a performance on Saturday December 17
Please register here if you are interested in Stage Explorers.
Please register here if you are interested in Theatre Makers.
The Fonseca Theatre Company is more than just a theatre. In addition to our professional season, we will offer a range of civic and educational opportunities. We recognize that, in addition to being part of the larger Indianapolis arts community, we are part of a specific neighborhood with a unique history and culture. It is integral to our mission and our values that we become part of the Near West community and participate through neighborhood meetings, clean-ups, sporting events, community festivals, and more.
The programs of The Fonseca Theatre Company will be affordable to all through community pricing.
The programs include:
- A theater season of new and adventurous plays featuring playwrights of color
- Multiple variety programs on off nights (poetry, music, dance, free-form)
- Educational classes in theater arts for children and teens
- Civic engagement (workshops on the political process featuring local politicians)
- Community engagement (neighborhood site for meetings and a headquarters for local activities such as clean up, crime watch and art happenings)
- Neighborhood special events such as block parties and festivals
- Tickets and class enrollment for the residents of Haughville, Hawthorne, Stringtown and We Care are at a 75% discount.
Post Show Discussions
Of course, with each production, we will also organize post-show discussions and open up the conversation to our audience. The conversations will be lead by the most relevant community leaders and company members. For the Fonseca Theatre Company, it is essential that our work does not exist in a vacuum and we want to hear what our audiences think. Our goal is to provide an open forum to discuss the issues presented in our play and ideally offer our audiences practical next steps on what they can do to build towards equity and inclusion in their own lives and in their community.
In addition, the Fonseca Theatre company will be developing a Community Ensemble. Lead by a member of our artistic team, the ensemble will be comprised of community members who will go into the neighborhoods and offer a variety of theatre-based workshops and performances to generate dialogue around local issues and give our neighbors the opportunity to tell their stories.